Monday, April 6, 2009

BIKRAM YOGA

So, I think I have become addicted to Bikram Yoga. I started going about a month ago, and I love it more every day. Don't get me wrong... getting there can be hard at times, especially because I usually go at 6 am (I really love to sleep). The intensity of it can also be very difficult. But I know that if I push through it, I will feel amazing afterward. Basically, Bikram yoga is a series of 26 postures (done twice) in a 105 degree room with 40% humidity for 90 minutes. My first class, well, let's just say I was lucky to stay conscious. I got so dizzy at one point, I had tunnel vision and blackness surrounding me. I've never laid down so fast in my life. But the more I went, the easier it was to tolerate the heat. It can still be difficult at times, but now I don't have to sit out of any of the poses. After only a month, I can already see improvement in my postures. I am also seeing my muscles return-- I am definitely more toned. For those of you who know me, know that I don't love regular exercise regimes. I get bored way too easy-- and then I just focus on how freakin' exhausted I am. My preferred method of exercise had always been dance; I loved it because it was challenging and I didn't notice how exhausted it made me while I was doing it. "Ca ching"-- Bikram Yoga is the same. It is challenging and I am always trying to do better. It is a hard core work out, and kicks my butt everytime, but I keep going back for more! I'm tellin' ya, Bikram is a complete workout in 90 minutes: cardio, strength, flexibility, detoxification-- what else does one need? And, I drink more water each day than I ever have in my entire life! I hope to keep this up for a long time...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I've done this. I do agree that it is great workout, but I had a hard time with the smells. Sometimes it would be so stinky....
Good for you though. It's tough stuff.

Melnyrose said...

Oh MAN I've been wanting to try this ever since I read about it in my Oakland Athletics magazine. I love yoga anyway and I LOVE hot temps. Sounds pretty difficult, but that's the way I like it.

Melnyrose said...

Ok, having done this twice now I can say I usually crap out around poses 11 and 12. I try #20, but it hurts the tops of my feet. My favorite one by far is #24. :) I'm getting hooked, Jaime! Although, the smells are a bit harsh towards the end. Then in the lobby it smells like an Indian restaurant, which is just a bit strong for me.

Leona said...

Hey. I have changed my blog address and wanted to make sure you had it. It's
thepoulsenfam.blogspot.com

: ),
Leona